On February 13, 1948, the Archdiocese obtained the title to six lots on the corner of Lonsdale and 27th Street. Forty families formed the nucleus of the parish. At first they met for Mass and other church services in the basement of the home of Captain and Mrs. John Marron who lived at 3361 Lonsdale Ave. By December of 1948 the rectory was completed and Midnight Mass was held in the temporary chapel in the basement. For the next two years as many as 100 people squeezed into the tiny chapel. In the spring of 1950 construction began on the new church. And it was dedicated by Archbishop William Mark Duke on Trinity Sunday, May 20, 1951. In 1954 additional land was acquired for parish growth and the construction of a new elementary school. Expansions of the church, hall and kitchen have occurred in 1958, 1962, 1992, and 1997 increasing the capacity of the church to accommodate 425 people and church hall to 176. The parish now has 1,303 households registered and ministers to 3,600 people.
Fr. Rufin Mika
Pastor from 1982 to 1990
Fr. Mika was ordained on June 5, 1965. Apart from overseeing significant improvements in the school building, Fr. Mika emphasized the involvement of young people in the liturgy and the development of the Friendship Club for senior parishioners. The CWL was established from the Women’s Auxiliary.
Fr. John Tritschler
Pastor from 1990 to 1993
Fr. John was ordained on May 28, 1966. Fr. Tritschler placed much importance on the liturgy, and he instituted the public procession of the Cross on Good Friday. During Fr. Tritschler’s time at Holy Trinity the interior of the church was renovated and the kitchen facilities modernized. Fr. Tritschler taught religion on a weekly basis to classes at Holy Trinity School. A vigorous hiker, Father frequently led hikes of parishioners up the North Shore mountains.
Fr. Terry Larkin
Pastor from 1993 to 2005
On June 4, 1966 Fr. Larkin was ordained. Under Fr. Larkin a small chapel was consecrated for the perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, the first of its kind in the diocese. Each summer Fr. Larkin led a group of young people from the parish and diocese to Mexico to better the housing conditions of the poor. Under Fr. Larkin, a meeting room was built next to the hall and the washroom facilities were modernized. In addition, the parish purchased land across from the school on Western Avenue to accommodate future expansion of the parish and school.